I can’t remember where I found this recipe, but I love it. The great thing about it is once you have put all the ingredients together it just bubbles away in the oven.
Pork Shoulder Cassoulet
- 500 gms Pork shoulder
- 1 red onion - chopped
- 100 gms smoked bacon lardons
- 1 garlic clove - sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 - 3 glugs of red wine
- Handfull of chestnut or dried mushrooms - sliced
- Leaves from sprig of rosemary
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 200 gms of chopped tomatoes
- 200 gms haricot beans - drained and washed
- 200 mls Oxo stock
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Brown the pork shoulders on both sides and set aside.
- Fry the onion and bacon over a low heat for about 5 mins then add the garlic and bay leaf and cook for another 1 -2 mins. Increase the heat and add the red wine, scraping all the sediment from the bottom of the pan. Add the herbs and tomatoes.
- Put everything in a casserole and top up with the stock and place in the oven for 2 hours. Check occasionally to see if you need to add more stock.
- Take out and add the mushrooms and beans. Return to the oven uncovered and cook for another 30 minutes. Lift the pork out and shred it.
- Serve with crusty bread.